On the evening of Tuesday, May 19, 2020, the Castlegate II Board met for an emergency executive session to discuss the feasibility of opening the neighborhood pool. After taking into consideration the new mandated protocols updated by Governor Abbott on May 18th, the board unanimously decided that it is in the best interest of the association to NOT open the pool at this time.
The main factors discussed when making this decision are:
- Financial feasibility
– Financially, the association is not able to cover the costs it would take to follow the newest protocols regarding cleaning and sanitization. The cost to follow these protocols is estimated at $8,000 for 4 weeks vs. the budgeted cleaning cost of $300 a month.
- Insurance liability
– During these unprecedented times, it is nearly impossible to know the depth of liability and risks associated with opening community amenities too soon. We have asked and received notice from the insurance carrier that our community would be liable for any claims and associated costs arising from COVID-19 that occurred at any of our amenities.
The following issues have been discussed and will be addressed in the upcoming weeks:
- The board will reconvene and reexamine the situation as the Open Texas plan progresses. It is our hope and desire to open the pool for our neighbors and community members as soon as feasibly possible.
- A detailed liability waiver covering COVID-19 issues will be created after consulting with the association’s attorney. Families will be required to sign the wavier prior to utilizing the pool.
- If circumstances allow, it is our intention to extend the pool season beyond the normal dates to compensate for the lost time.
Many families are anxious to use the pool. We understand! The board allocated a significant portion of the budget to much needed pool repairs to make this the best pool season yet. Unfortunately, we could not predict a pandemic sweeping through the country and changing our plans. We hope that you all will appreciate and understand that we are doing what we think is best to keep our community safe as well as protect us from legal liability. We will continue to monitor this situation, as we have been, daily. Stay safe and healthy!